Skip to main content

Free Verse: Poetry Book Fair 2017

Bleary eyed, on the early train to London from Cardiff, laden with books I luck out, with an old friend on board who upgrades me to First Class: 'You've a new book, you must!' and she plies me with hot tea and cold apples to energise me for the day ahead.

I'd like to say it is a glamorous life being a poet and a publisher, but the reality is that I still have the bruises on the backs of my legs from wrestling my wheelie case of my books and all the other Parthian poet books across Cardiff, on and off a train, on and off the tube to the venue. A lovely venue at that, I don't think I've ever been to






Some books were sold, mostly mine, but I still had a lot to lug back to Wales, and I was sad to miss the majority of the readings including one by Samantha Wynne-Rhydderch, who wrote me a lovely cover blurb, though I was delighted that she popped by the stall to see me.

 Kate Noakes with her latest Parthian-released collection Tattoo on Crow Street

Christina Thatcher with her collection More than you were which also proved popular for sales!


  The sweets were a big hit, the flying saucers ran out first... although most people picked it for nostalgia, and then remembered that often it tastes of cardboard and that's why they don't eat them any more!








Poets with Parthian collections also popped by both to visit (Kate Noakes, her next collection is out with us in 2018) and to help out so I could have a break, and a pint with Tim Wells (Christina Thatcher, thanks!). Is was great to also see Bob Walton and Amy Wack there.

And then, exhausted, I went home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzz Blog: The Passion | Stage Review

> REVIEWS THE PASSION | STAGE REVIEW BY  SUSIE WILD   ⋅  APRIL 27, 2011  ⋅   POST A COMMENT FILED UNDER    MICHAEL SHEEN ,  PORT TALBOT ,  THE PASSION **** Various locations, Port Talbot Fri 22 – Sun 24 April Cast includes: Michael Sheen, Matthew Aubrey, Nigel Barrett, Francine Morgan and Matthew Woodyatt. Michael Sheen became a Messiah of his home town over the Easter weekend with his leading role in a 72-hour epic retelling of The Passion, yet is was Port Talbot that was the real star of the show. For the sheer numbers in the audience (6000+), and national and international press attention  The Passion  is an ambitious event sure to go down in folklore. Two years in the planning and several months in community build up,  National Theatre Wales  joined forces with Cornwall’s  WildWorks  to create a multi-platform delivery of an age-old tale co-directed by local-boy-done-good  Michael Sheen  and the innovative  Bill Mitchell . In this version of The Passion, poet and author  Owen S

Gig Alert: Bad Ideas\Chemicals Cosmic Relaunch

I'll be reading a few poems at Lloyd Markham's event at the Full Moon with other performers and musicians... Come along! Here's the poster: Following that I will be giving a lunchtime reading at Can Openers in Bristol on 1 December, and then hosting and reading at Brown's Poems & Pints in Laugharne on 7 December... Then I'm taking a little festive season break before returning with gigs in Carmarthen, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport and more in 2018. Susie x

The Lonely Crowd: Susie Wild On Writing ‘Looks Like Rain’

' It began with the opening image. I usually start stories or poems with an image, a line or a character. I’m a visual learner, an introvert observer of others. Knowing I’d agreed to write this piece I’ve been racking my brain and notebooks for the seed that planted the first page.' Read the article in full on The Lonely Crowd  website. My story 'Looks Like Rain' is in the new Spring 2016 Issue, out now. I'll be reading it at the Little Man launch in Cardiff on 20th May.