Skip to main content

The Mothership

Hello lovelies!

I hope you are having a splendid summer and managing to fit some adventures into the pockets of sunshine.

2016 has been throwing all sorts of horribleness at us (collectively and personally), but I'm beginning to feel more myself again after a quick succession of bad news including losing my dear Nan Sylvia while I was away in Istanbul in May followed by all the awfulness of Brexit. 

Recently I've been finding more occasions... or more need, perhaps... for joy with picnics (with my excellent new birthday gifts of a picnic basket and blanket) and time in green spaces and Ikea purchases to cosy up the not-so-new-now house.

The snails may have eaten all my edible plants in the not-so-new-now garden but weeding has been achieved. From my office window I can admire the thistles, and the parade of cats from the other terraced houses that box in our little plots. Still, I don't think I'll be returning from Greece this year to a bumper crop of courgettes and beans. 

Greece? Yes Greece. I'm heading back to Greece for the much-needed holiday I was partially robbed of last year. (Somebody lost their passport on the way). (It wasn't me!). All of you please pretty please cross your fingers for us so that nothing goes wrong this time! 

The Greece trip takes place over a week in September, and prior to that I'm really pleased that I will be on The MOTHERSHIP Residency in Dorset, writing for a week. Anna Best was kind enough to accept my application. My work in the past has focused on a very urban space and quirky, lonely characters but I am becoming more and more preoccupied with edge lands and place, with the village-living of my Cornish childhood, and with the weather... so this residency felt like a perfect fit for me. The week as a writer-in-residence will offer me the opportunity to further develop some of my new poems and stories away from capital city living. It will also allow for time to walk and reflect on other germinating creative projects. And afterwards I'm hoping to visit Chesil Beach.




Today, though, will see German practise (33% fluent on Duolingo now) and then the gym calleth, and later still I'm off to Swansea to see three of elysiumgallery's excellent exhibitions: the group shows Painting Parallels and The Painter's Studio, both in the Arts Wing of Swansea Grand Theatre, followed by the official opening of BEEP 2016: This must be the place I never wanted to leave… where the winner of the Beep Wales International Painting Prize will be announced.  Exciting! 

I hope to see many of you there or somewhere,

Susie Q x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm on the Edge Hill Short Story Prize long-list

'Some of the biggest names in the literary world have entered their works in the prestigious Edge Hill University's Short Story Prize 2011.' 'The unique accolade, now in its fifth year, is the UK's only literary award that recognises a published collection of short stories and has attracted entries from a number of distinguished writers and newcomers all competing for the winning title.' I'd be one of those newcomers then. Yay! http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/news/2011/03/big-names-revealed-in-edge-hill-short-story-prize Literature Wales ran a story too: Three Welsh Writers longlisted for Edge Hill Short Story Prize Three Welsh Writers on Long List for Prestigious Award Welsh writers  Vanessa Gebbie ,  Susie Wild  and  Martin Bax  are on the long list for the prestigious Edge Hill University's Short Story Prize 2011. The unique accolade, now in its fifth year, is the UK's only literary award that recognises a published collection of short storie

Gig Alert: Bad Ideas\Chemicals Cosmic Relaunch

I'll be reading a few poems at Lloyd Markham's event at the Full Moon with other performers and musicians... Come along! Here's the poster: Following that I will be giving a lunchtime reading at Can Openers in Bristol on 1 December, and then hosting and reading at Brown's Poems & Pints in Laugharne on 7 December... Then I'm taking a little festive season break before returning with gigs in Carmarthen, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport and more in 2018. Susie x

Buzz Blog: The Passion | Stage Review

> REVIEWS THE PASSION | STAGE REVIEW BY  SUSIE WILD   ⋅  APRIL 27, 2011  ⋅   POST A COMMENT FILED UNDER    MICHAEL SHEEN ,  PORT TALBOT ,  THE PASSION **** Various locations, Port Talbot Fri 22 – Sun 24 April Cast includes: Michael Sheen, Matthew Aubrey, Nigel Barrett, Francine Morgan and Matthew Woodyatt. Michael Sheen became a Messiah of his home town over the Easter weekend with his leading role in a 72-hour epic retelling of The Passion, yet is was Port Talbot that was the real star of the show. For the sheer numbers in the audience (6000+), and national and international press attention  The Passion  is an ambitious event sure to go down in folklore. Two years in the planning and several months in community build up,  National Theatre Wales  joined forces with Cornwall’s  WildWorks  to create a multi-platform delivery of an age-old tale co-directed by local-boy-done-good  Michael Sheen  and the innovative  Bill Mitchell . In this version of The Passion, poet and author  Owen S